• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

SUPERsets

Wizzle

Bluelighter
I love doing supersets, at this point three of five strength workouts I do consist of supersets. Namely: Chest, Back and Arms. The workouts I do are all from www.scoobysworkshop.com (check em out they are intense)

Chest
Back
Arm

More info: http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/a/supersets.htm

I would like to hear some opinions on supersets: Any other fans? Are they a good way of working out? Is it better than regular sets?

I've been doing these superset routines for six months already.. I know I have to vary my training but I just love it too much! I do make small changes from weights to cables and such.

Also, I'd like to hear some opinions on rest, how long is best? Does it vary a lot from person to person? Etc.

On my normal workout's rest time varies. For shoulders I do all my sets with a drop set right behind it (example: shoulder press 12 kg until failure and then 6 kg until failure) when doing this regimen I'll take 1,5 minutes rest till the next set.

If anyone has some good superset routines please post, for me it really makes a workout more interesting. Does anyone know of a good routine for shoulders or legs? Please post!

Supersets are awesome, I use them fairly often.

I think the advantage of them is twofold, first off, they are actually keeping you out of breath, and making you tired. I see a lot of guys doing a set of 8-12, then resting a minute. This is fine, but it lacks the almost cardio element that you get froma good superset.

The second advantage of them is that they generally work you in a rotor. For example, I do a superset that works Biceps, Triceps and shoulders. The whole set takes about 2-3 mins, then I rest for say a minute, then go again. However for my biceps, the first muscle in the set, they have had a good 3 minute rest, but those 3 minutes werent sat still, waisting time.

I'd say that for building strength supersets are maybe not the best way to go. But for building size and stamina, they seem to do the trick!

Btw, I bloody love scooby, he's a legend!

Less than a minute rest is ideal for me. I don't always stick to it, but keeping the heart rate up is good for you.

One thing I've noticed is that with anything you do on a routine basis, your body becomes adjusted to it. Its good to switch up routines every once in awhile. If you're doing super sets now and hitting around 12 reps it might be good to up the weight for a few months, drop the superset approach, and hit failure around 7 or 8 reps. Hit it hard, with a partner preferably, and allow them to aid you on those last reps.

I do a superset for deltoids that combine
this
http://kbierek.powweb.com/shapefit-pics/shoulder-exercises-reverse-flyes.gif

then go straight into a variation of these two where I raise my arms, keep my arms parallel with the floor while moving them to the second position and lowering them. Then I go back up from the position, move my arms to the first raised position and then drop them.

so a combination of these two in the same movement, if that makes any sense
http://kbierek.powweb.com/shapefit-pics/shoulder-exercises-front-two-dumbbell-raises.gif

this one would be standing
http://kbierek.powweb.com/shapefit-pics/shoulder-exercises-seated-side-lateral-raises.gif

I actually did a superset for legs the other day that worked pretty well, but you need to do it at a time when your gym isn't packed.

squats to leg press to calf raises on the leg press machine.

Last edited:
I swear by supersets/circuit training.

First off, you get a hell of a lot more done in a short amount of time. I began having to limit the days I could get to the gym, so I had to cram more into each session.

second, the cardio factor as a couple people mentioned. Superset deadlifts with barbell rows and tell me your heart dosen't get to pumpin. If you really want to possibly puke, go back and forth four times through: deads, rows...deads,rows(10 reps) etc without stopping.

I started supersetting when time became a factor, and now I rarely train without them.

a quick shoulder 'giant set':

lateral raises, pushups, front raises, pushups---10 reps of each and do this set 4 times through without stopping.

Stoner: I don't know if I could handle the deads with rows four times... Doing deads can get me pretty dizzy just doing one set. The shoulder giant seems good, I'll try that thursday!

doesntmatter: I've actually done that last part of that shoulder set! Makes me wonder if working out your shoulders at different angles would be good. (At, say, 45 degrees from lateral)

@Fango:That set will give you some massive he-man pump :D . Good to know there's other scooby fans.. His site is probably the only one where you can get all basic training info without having to verify the source.

Superset deadlifts with barbell rows and tell me your heart dosen't get to pumpin. If you really want to possibly puke, go back and forth four times through: deads, rows...deads,rows(10 reps) etc without stopping.

LOL, oh snap! How did I miss this?

For Harm Reduction purposes, whoever tries this should do so in a PUBLIC gym...that way, there will be people to call 911 for you..."just in case"

;)

I like supersets for body/torso excersizes because you often have to use your limbs for torso work (have to use your arms to build your chest) I find supersets and extended supersets are great for shocking the chest into life.

I almost always do my chest flies back to back with dumbell press, it's right there in the perfect position and dumbell presses are easier than flies for me so I just follow up and feel it tommorow!

Check out the chest vid I posted. It has three fly/press supersets!

i dont do much weightlifting anymore, but when i do, i always finish my workout with dropsets and 21s (similar concept to super setting, but not the same thing).

i do super sets on things like abs as follows:
10x reps of as much weight as i can manage 10 reps with on a machine,
25x reps of obliques with just my body weight,
25x reps of leg raises on my back

i am unable to do any weightlifting on my lower body anymore, but when i did, i almost always super setted my groin exercises with hip extensions.

if i do chest with cables, i usually do 10x-12x with the heavier weight, and then like 8x with a very light weight, very slowly.

doing shrugs, always the same: 10x with very heavy weight, about 8x more with a weight about 1/2 to 2/3 the original.